Tuesday, July 30, 2013

If you want something done right....

I have had a run of terrible service at restaurants recently.  In my work life, I am a customer service professional, so in addition to being a food, beer and wine snob, I am a bit of a "customer experience" snob as well.  While that might make me a tough customer please, providing a meal with decent service is what restaurants are supposed to do...it's all they have to do.  So I do not think it is unreasonable to expect them to get it right.

Here's service in 7 simple steps: 
  1. Say hello
  2. Tell me your name  
  3. Make sure I have a drink in a timely manner
  4. Know the menu & make recommendations - tell me what you like and be excited about your product
  5. Bring the meal - get me more napkins - tell me my kid is cute (OK that might be a stretch, but jeez, don't be afraid to interact with him, he's more of a people person than I am) 
  6. Bring my check
  7. Get me out the door
But it astounds me time and time again how difficult this seems to be and how often I leave a restaurant exasperated by the amount of money I blow on a restaurant meal that I could have done myself cheaper, healthier and just as delicious without all the aggravation. I guess if you want something done right... 

Despite my soap-boxey rant, the point of this post is really not to bash restaurants.  I realize it's more about me and my inability to get past my own snobbery long enough to remember why I am at the restaurant at all, which by and large boils down to two reasons: the beer and/or wine selection and because I hate doing dishes.  If I just reset my expectations around alcohol and getting out of doing dishes, I might not give my blood pressure a jolt every time I go out to eat. 

The fact is I love cooking.  I love creating my own dishes. I love the artistry of combining flavors. I love farmer's markets and fresh ingredients.  I love watching cooking shows to get new ideas about flavors and techniques. I love being in control of my diet and portion sizes.  I love the look on my wife's face when she bites into one of my successful creations and I love the polite attaboy she gives me when a dish fails...and there are plenty of those.

And I love sharing my love of food with others.

This is my kind of comfort food. Tons of Flavor. Simple. Fresh. Healthy.

Pan Roasted Salmon seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Spinach Caprese Salad with basil, red onion, assorted baby tomatoes and mozzarella dressed with a honey balsamic vinaigrette and a squeeze of lemon. 

And the meal wouldn't be complete of course without a nice glass of Oregon Pinot Noir.


My mom says that salmon is even better the second day. I think that is like saying chocolate cake is better the second day - I'm just glad there is still another piece to eat. But adding the leftover salmon to a bed of spinach and romaine, with diced tomatoes, avocado, red onion, peanuts, lemon pepper and the honey balsamic makes for an easy-to-prep high end lunch - even if I do have to eat it out of Tupperware at my desk...

I welcome your comments. 
What are your favorite ingredients to cook with?  Do you have a favorite wine/beer/food  pairing? Best simple-tons of flavor recipe? Do we expect to much out of restaurant service? 

4 comments:

  1. I love salmon, Pinot Noir and spinach so I can't wait to come back to your house and taste your latest concoction. I am anxious to find out if you ever can find a turkey reuben sandwich in the Pacific Northwest,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully some of these posts will whet your appetite enough to get you back out for another visit real soon.

      My search for a PNW Turkey Reuben, I sense a future blog post in the making.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I agree on restaurant service - it shouldn't be that hard to be polite, know the menu (it's your job), and bring me what i ask for in a timely fashion.
    I can vouch for some of your excellent meals! And I thought you'd be happy to know that you've inspired us to be beet eaters! Twice since we've returned home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,

      Thanks for the compliment, how have you used the beets?It's always fun to (re)try new things and realize you like them.

      BTW, Can I offer you a half Reuben?

      Delete