Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Avett Brothers - Ridgefield WA Concert Review 8/9/2012

In 2007 my friend Matt, who is my Czar of Music, told me I had to check out this band, The Avett Brothers. So I went out and purchased Emotionalism. After a listen or two, I reported back that they were merely pretty good. I likened them a Country Music version of the Beatles, and remember thinking they were raw, a bit unrefined even, with some forced rhymes and some interesting harmonies. I never thought they would become my favorite band.

As I listened to Emotionalism again....and again and again, I came to realize what I initially characterized as raw and unrefined was actually a pure, completely unselfconscious and totally honest approach to music. They have a wonderful ability to combine a depth of human emotion along with a light hearted wit and sarcasm in their music.

I imagine this is exactly who they are as people as well as musicians and why they have been able to so deeply connect with so many people.

This combination was no doubt on display during their performance at the Sleep Country Amphitheater in Ridgefield Washington on 8/9/2013. Upon entering the venue, I was struck....ok stunned...by the turnout. The lawn was virtually empty and the outer sections of the pavilion were sparse. Compared to their other shows I have attended which were sell out, raucous events, the crowd for this show was much more subdued. I can't help but think that the venue location in Washington did not attract the Portland crowd, and that if the show had been in Portland proper, the turn out would have been far better. As a result it did seem like it took them a few songs before they got into a rhythm. 

Live and Die was a perfect opener, followed up with The Fall, which incidentally is one of my favorites. I had listened to it earlier that day as I was gearing up for the show and thought this would be a fun one to see live. One of the things that I truly appreciate about an Avett Brothers show, is that no song is off limits, there is a chance that you could hear any song on a given night. As they performed their new song, Another is Waiting, without a mention of it being a new song and no hype for their upcoming new record I joked to my wife they were just going to fly through this set and get out of town. But as the sun went down, the empty seats long forgotten, they really locked into the energy of the crowd, connecting especially with the die hards up front, and turned in a truly memorable performance. 

For the rest of the show, they did what The Avett Brothers do best, taking the audience on a roller coaster ride of ups and downs, masterfully turning up the intensity to a near breaking point that has me in the aisle dancing, screaming, heart pounding, then slowing the tempo to create more intimate moments that have me sitting on the edge of my seat, entranced, with a tear in my eye. They gave us terrific, super high energy performances of Distraction #74, Gimmeakiss and Laundry Room.  Pretty Girl from Chile had one of the great moments of the show with Seth on acoustic guitar and Joe on cello sweetly playing together in a single spotlight on an otherwise darkened stage, only to spring board back into a jam session with the rest of the band that they played with the intensity of a closing number, Seth roaming the audience soloing now on his electric guitar. Scott delivered a moving solo performance of Murder in the City, followed by the original members sharing the stage for Just a Closer Walk With Thee. They closed with one last great run of ups and downs with Kick Drum Heart, February Seven, Slight Figure of Speech and Life.

Every concert I go to seems to have that one moment that feels like it was just for me.  My family recently moved cross country. Living in Ohio, we got to a point where we felt like we needed to make a change. While we were preparing for the move, we saw a behind the scenes video of the Avetts performing If It's Beaches. 

"If it's the beaches, if it's the beaches' sands you want then you will have them, if it's the mountain's bending rivers then you will have them, if it's your wish to run away then I will grant it..." 

My wife and I looked at each other and said, "yeah, that's us." 

The encore performance of that song, standing there with my wife in our new hometown listening to the amazing sound of the string bass, cello and violin was a really special moment for us.  

They closed the show with their signature I and Love and You, with Seth plucking playful individual notes on the piano during the final verse, eliciting some chuckles from those around me. A true Avett Brothers moment and perfect finish capturing their spirit of combining the light hearted with the intense.  

Set List:
Live and die
The Fall
Down with the Shine
Go to Sleep
Another is Waiting
Shame
Distraction #74
Gimmeakiss
Laundry Room
Talkin' Blues
Pretty Girl from Chile
Murder in the City
Just a Closer Walk With Thee
Blue Ridge Mountain Blues
Weight of Lies
At the Beach
Kick Drum Heart
February Seven
Slight Figure of Speech
Life

Encore:
If It's the Beaches
Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise
I and Love and You

No comments:

Post a Comment